Uniform will be checked daily by the Head of Year and form tutors. If a student does not follow the school dress code this will be recorded on Class Charts and parents/carers will be informed.
Pastoral staff will work with individual students to establish the reason for uniform issues and how these can be resolved as soon as possible.
If a parent/carer has a short-term difficulty with uniform then this should be communicated to the school
Basic Uniform Requirements
Black blazer bearing the school logo
This must be worn at all times unless the weather is particularly warm and the ‘blazers may be carried’ sign is displayed.
Plain black trousers
For the purposes of this policy, trousers are defined as formal, classic, smart trousers of waist height (not skin-tight and not jeans/denim/cargo/chino style or leggings).
Plain white standard long-sleeved shirt with a collar
Short-sleeved standard white shirts with a collar may be worn during the summer term. Polo shirts and other tops are not acceptable. Shirts must be tucked in at all times.
Ties can be purchased from the school office or from the school’s uniform provider.
Plain black shoes or ankle boots with a flat heel that can be polished
Footwear must be a full shoe that can be polished, not sandals, plimsolls or mules. Suede, canvas and other materials that cannot be polished are not permitted. For students wearing ankle boots, trousers must be worn over the top of their boots.
OPTIONAL: A black Withernsea High School V-neck jumper
A V-neck jumper bearing the school logo is available. This is an optional item of our school uniform. Jumpers must be worn with the school blazer, not instead of.
This must be plain black and functional
Students are encouraged to bring a coat, to be worn outside at break and lunchtime. Coats are not allowed to be worn in the school building.
For reasons of health and safety all students are required to bring a full change of sporting clothing for PE lessons. Students should have the following:
- Navy blue polo shirt with school logo (short-sleeved)
- Navy blue shorts with school logo and navy-blue socks, or navy-blue tracksuit trousers with WHS logo with white ankle socks, or plain black athletic leggings (non-branded and purchased from our school uniform supplier)
- Appropriate footwear for the activity (i.e. boots for outdoors and clean trainers for indoor events)
- Shin pads should be worn for football, hockey and rugby
- OPTIONAL: Additional clothing available for PE, but not compulsory, is navy blue drill top with school logo (long- sleeved) and navy-blue rain jacket with school logo.
- For Dance in Key Stage 3 (Years 7, 8 and 9) the PE kit should be worn.
- For Dance in Key Stage 4 (Years 10 and 11) students can wear the PE kit or PE leggings, navy dance T-shirt with school logo, black dance hooded sweatshirt with school logo. These are available from the school uniform supplier and have the option of being personalised with the student’s first name on back.
The most basic equipment we ask that students bring on a daily basis is:
- Pens (blue or black)
- Student Handbook
- Students are responsible for their own equipment
- They can use reward points to purchase equipment from the reward shop
- If students forget their equipment, they can ask to borrow some from their tutor. However, lends are not guaranteed and any instances of forgotten equipment will be logged
- If students continually don't have equipment, parents/carers will be contacted.